Jack Riley, Head of Digital Audience & Content Development for @TheIndyNews, @TheIPaper & @StandardNews, gave a neat update on how he has developed The Indepentent’s online strategy. Fittingly, he blogs and, last December he published a list of accomplishments.
For those looking for a quick overview:
- Embed the ‘social mindset’ within staff. They turned a Live Q + A into a feature article for print, which highlighted the SYNERGIES between print and digital. Getting the leaders to value SM is a start, showing the value of it to staff will see them follow.
- Prioritise Facebook (which was said to drive more quality traffic to website, down to at the moment the power of social suggestions being stronger there). This means displaying Like buttons prominently. Putting Share buttons at top, near headline, and bottom. Putting lesser known share options lower down, out of the way.
- Use Trove and OpenGraph to deliver links to a self-selecting audience (eg. to people that have expressly stated that they like subject X, or for whom it fits their FB preferences). He sees this as the future, more and more personalised news feeding options.
- Develop community commenting. They use Disqus as easy-to-use platform.
- Encourage staff to use Twitter.
- Personalised URL, think about the stylistics.
- Increasingly use audience feedback to influence editorial decisions